View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 3rd, 2014, 6:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Ambient VST/VSTi Library 

Post Ambient VST/VSTi Library
Hey fellows mates,

I hope I'm posting in the good category, else please do move my post. I think there're several musicians here, so I thought it could be a good idea to make a list of good VST Effects and especially VSTi plugins that could be used to create AG music...

I suggest that you post names and links after this post, and I'll edit the list as soon as possible.. No illegal links/files of course.

Also, if you disagree with this idea well just tell me.

VST Instruments

Noise/Ambient Synths

- Atonoise (H.G. Fortune, free)
- Swamp XT (H.G. Fortune, free)
- Gargoyle (Krakli, free)

Synths

- Absynth (Native Instruments, $550)
- Cygnus (Krakli, free)
- Orca (FXpansion, free & requires registration for download)

Piano / Keyboard / Harpsichord...

- Pianoteq (Modartt, $299-$400)
- CV-Piano (Tascam, free)

Choirs / Vocal synthesis

- Magnus Choir (Syntheway, $40)
- DSK ChoirZ (DSK Music, free)

Strings

- StringZ2 (Krakli, free)

Bass

- Dream Sequencer 2 (Dream Vortex Studio, free)

Drums / Percussions

- EZdrummer (Toontrack, ~$130)
- Cajon Fu (Mildon Studios, free)

VST Effects

Effects designed for Voice

- X-Orcism (Solid State Logic, free & requires registration for download)

Effects designed for Drums

- Drove (Overdrive - Shuttlebug Records, free)
- Sykk (Shuttlebug Records, free)

Distortion / Overdrive

- Camel Crusher (Distortion - Camel Audio, free)

Reverbs

- Cinematic Reverb (Greg Schlaepfer, free)
- Fusion Field (QuikQuak, £30-£50)

Echo/Delay

- TimeFrame (LFO-controlled - Shuttlebug Records, free)

Pitch / Modulation

- Sykk (Shuttlebug Records, free)

Panning - Spatializer

- Binaural Simulator (Greg Schlaepfer, free)
- 3D Panner (Mildon Studios, free)

Filters

- Glitch (Illformed, free)

Old-sounding effects

- Vinyl (iZotope, free & requires registration for download)
- Audio Impurities Vintage Edition (Retrosampling, free)
- FerricTDS - Tape Dynamics Simulator (bootsie, free)

Some Links

VST / VSTi libraries

- http://freemusicsoftware.org
- http://studio.musicscreen.be/Vst-gratuit.html
- http://www.vstcafe.com
- http://free-plugin-list.com
- http://www.vstplanet.com
- http://www.audiomastermind.com

Val

Last edited by Valenten on January 26th, 2010, 10:56 pm, edited 27 times in total.

December 18th, 2009, 5:17 pm
Profile WWW

What is VST/SVTi and why is it great for AG music?

December 18th, 2009, 5:25 pm
Profile WWW
Administrator

Virtual Studio Technology = Plugins simulating the real (instruments, Synthesizers, oscillators, effects) deal for Cubase, Protools etc...

December 18th, 2009, 5:28 pm
Profile WWW

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_Studio_Technology =)

Last edited by Valenten on December 19th, 2009, 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

December 18th, 2009, 5:46 pm
Profile WWW

I occasionally forget that it is possible for search for information on this newfangled Internet thing. :)

December 18th, 2009, 5:56 pm
Profile WWW

Lol, nevermind, somehow you're right : it's a forum, you're here to ask question... It's a bit stupid to always link people to google etc... but I tought wikipedia's definition was the most easy to understand.

Basically, a VST (or VSTi) is a plugin that creates sound. VST-s are sound effects (disto, flanger, phaser, etc...) that you can apply to (part of) your music, and VSTi-s are virtual instruments (synths, but also guitars, odd instruments, noise generators, etc.).

You can use the VSTi in two main different ways :
- either with a MIDI keyboard : it's a kind of piano you can connect (for instance) to your computer, and it allows you to play music USING the sound generated by the plugin.

- or you can compose your music on a software (e.g. GuitarPro), and then export it to MIDI. Then, you can have your sequencer play this music using the VSTi sound..

I hope it's clear ;)
Ask me if you need more information,

cheers,
val

Last edited by Valenten on December 19th, 2009, 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

December 18th, 2009, 6:31 pm
Profile WWW

I get it, and I already use GuitarPro and a Line 6 Pod Farm so only the term was new to me.

December 18th, 2009, 6:43 pm
Profile WWW

By the way i'm adding some new stuffs in the list ;)

December 18th, 2009, 6:54 pm
Profile WWW
Administrator

VSTi sounds far better than MIDIing your things on Guitar Pro. But you can import your midis into some VSTi. But mind that there are mainly NOT any electric guitar VST that sounds real. Distorted guitar must be real. If not, it's a Metal Sin. :lol:
I use a distortion VST fx over a piano VSTi, but that's allowed (also I don't intend to play "metal" with it).

I'll come back to this thread later. There's much to share here.

I'll just mention that, the physically modulated piano (not sampled one) that I use is Pianoteq and that the Glitch VST if free and AWESOME.

And I have almost the same keyb you posted, I have the M-Audio Oxygen 8 v2. :mrgreen:

December 18th, 2009, 6:55 pm

Distorted guitar must be real. If not, it's a Metal Sin. :lol:

That's true =)

Adryuu wrote:
And I have almost the same keyb you posted, I have the M-Audio Oxygen 8 v2. :mrgreen:

I don't have it myself, however I think i'm gonna buy one like this for christmas ^^ ... Actually I've only generated my sounds on my comp via MIDI files so far, so I know few about MIDI Keyboards.... is the one i've posted good ? thanks

December 18th, 2009, 7:14 pm
Profile WWW
Administrator

I don't really know... but I'll give you a hint/advice on midi controller keybs: if you are not very much versed on keyboard playing, you don't mind heavyweight keys, and you do NOT need a lot of knobs/buttons/sliders, etc... IN the actual keyboard, then do not go for something like that. Knobs and shit make it more expensive. I have only tried the one I have (which is cheap and fine, has some knobs and buttons, and the mandatory modulation and pitch bend wheels), but I rarely use the knobs (even less now that I have a kaossilator, wow, what a fucking gadget!!!).
So, if you are NOT a piano player and do NOT need knobs, go for a cheap one without them and with NOT heavy weighed keys.
Of course, you may need them to assign the knobs to some VSTi parameters, if you want to alter them realtime (record automation, that is), so in that case, mine is just fine (for what it costs).
I cannot advice on anymore than what I have, but I think quality/price is good. Also, M-Audio is a good brand for this shit, and has a wide range of quality/price models. But, there is also Behringer with a similar line of keybs (similar to mine, Oxygen8v2 and such).
Also think of hoy many octaves you want. I have 25 keys, but because I didn't find ANYONE with 3 octaves, which is what I wanted at first. Now, I realised that I'm happy with 25 keys and that 3 octaves would not have fitted in my table, so I would have had to buy a stand for it. :lol:

For a quite weird ambient VSTi, and proffessional (and expensive), there is the NI Absynth. There's some more by them, but they use to be expensive. Also you have the Kontact thing, which basically is a sampler of NI (Native Instruments) to which you can just add and add libraries of a lot of instruments. I'd like to check out some of those...

I repeat, Glitch VST is ESSENTIAL. :mrgreen: It's free, here: http://illformed.org/plugins/glitch/

And to see it in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCgENwOytuA
That thing with recorded/programmed automation, and knowing what you do, can just lead to pure goodness and love, but used improperly can cause mental diseases probably.

I made an improv with that over a loop I made in Renoise, it's up in my myspace for those curious to listen (just a mindfucking improv, mind you), that I called Destroÿgramul.

But right now I'm improvising with my new Kaossilator and it's sweet. This shit hooks up oneself worse than drugs! :lol:
I'll post some improv with it probably later, or one of these days.
If you're interested in REAL synths (although this one is quite limited and digital, not the old analog glory), this one (Korg Kaossilator) is cheap and sounds alive.

Ohhhh, by the way, programming midi is a good way to compose, but it's really faster when you get used to the keyboard. Also, you record velocity, and your human faults in tempo, so a keyb is MANDATORY for recording as well as guitars must be REAL. :D

If you are curious to know what the Pianoteq VST sounds with some physically modeled 70's valve distortion, check out my myspace. Not finished songs there, not even mixed, but you can have a glance. In the web (.es) it sounds better (Sonic Visio section, the Inner.... section is 10 years old music).

And I just did filthy self-promotion out of its topic. I'm the king. Not the purple one, but hey, wtf.

December 18th, 2009, 11:08 pm

Thanks a lot for your advices about the MIDI keyboards, I'll remember it at the time of buying ;)

I've added the VST/VSTi you've suggested to the list ; by the way NI's Absynth synth seems to be really awesome, I'd love trying it :p ! If you kno wother cool VST, don't hesitate to tell them

Val

December 19th, 2009, 6:51 pm
Profile WWW
Administrator

Well, I think that with those links its pretty much ok. There are practically infinite VSTis both free and commercial, obviously most commercial ones sound the best, so the good thing would be to keep track of the best free ones.

Another commercial one with a lot of possibilities is Garritan Personal Orchestra. It has lots of sampled orchestra sounds, but can be modelled quite good. I tried with a brass section and you can control breath for example with the modulation wheel, then you have the keyb notes and the pitch wheel, so you can pretty much jazz something.
The samples are good quality. But I don't know the price (must be high).

Also, EZ Drummer has a lot of expansions (I'd like to try the electronica one, but now with the Kaoss it's pointless I think), and then there is Superior Drummer (1 and 2), which are much better. With Sup. Drummer 2 you can also use every expansion kit for EZD.

Are you just starting in this whole midi-vst thing? Do you intend to just play and learn or do you have something in mind? If you have a planned project or something going on, or just have any doubt about anything, feel free to ask. I'm not the one that knows all about VST, but I've used some with a pair of sequencers.

Oh, on the secuencer side, I'd recommend two cheap but very powerful ones.
There is the old-school, tracker type Renoise. May look strange and complicated to any one who hasn't seen a tracker ever (it was in the 80's/90's when they were used, mainly in computer freak scenes. Achenar from the forum uses it on his projects, or that I think.
Then there is the more traditional (now), straight and "easy" Reaper, that I found quick to use and easy at first, coming from Cubase.
Both cost less than 50 EUR!!!

December 19th, 2009, 10:37 pm

I've already put EZ Drummer in the list, that's what I use. One of the expansions seems to be very experimental/avant-gardist : link.

I'd say that I've started using VSTs a few month ago. I'm using Cubase LE 4 as a sequencer. I usually compose my music and then have it played (I mean, only for the synths) by VSTi-s. And yeah I've got a project called "Valenten's Tales" (see my myspace - www link below, though there isn't any song on it yet, i've deleted all the previous ones)... It's a experimental/black metal project.

Quote:
the good thing would be to keep track of the best free ones.

that's my aim ;)

December 19th, 2009, 11:24 pm
Profile WWW
Administrator

I've already put EZ Drummer in the list, that's what I use. One of the expansions seems to be very experimental/avant-gardist : link.

I'd say that I've started using VSTs a few month ago. I'm using Cubase LE 4 as a sequencer. I usually compose my music and then have it played (I mean, only for the synths) by VSTi-s. And yeah I've got a project called "Valenten's Tales" (see my myspace - www link below, though there isn't any song on it yet, i've deleted all the previous ones)... It's a experimental/black metal project.

Quote:
the good thing would be to keep track of the best free ones.

that's my aim ;)

Oh, yes, I saw the profile and I think I already told you there were no songs. :lol:

I use in one of my songs a pretty nice droney/noisy sounding VST, and it's free: Orca, quite suitable too for ambiences on its own. It's also nice looking. To me, the cool thing with this one is not it's sound, it is manipulating the parameters as you sustain any note.
You can hear it on my myspace on 'Talking to Strangers'.

December 20th, 2009, 12:04 am
Reply to topic   [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next