View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 18th, 2014, 10:12 am

Reply to topic  [ 260 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
 REVIEWS 

I read the story/review of Amenra/Steve Von Till - too bad about Von till's performance. Some musicians can do the solo/ambient/noise thing brilliantly, and some just miss the point entirely, which seems to be his case.

Not everyone can just plug in the guitar, hit a note, and feedback for a half-hour and call it music. You have to make it something.

April 11th, 2010, 7:04 pm
Profile WWW

Has anyone heard the new Sigh album, Scenes From Hell? I've been reading that they screwed up the production again, even worse than the original Gallows Gallery. How could they do that AGAIN after the brilliant sound on Hangman's Hymns? If its total crap again, I'm not buying it.

April 23rd, 2010, 9:14 pm
Profile WWW
Administrator

Just read the AS LIGHT DIES review and browsing through their myspace to listen to their songs.

Adryuu's review is perfectly explanatory of what lies in there, the tracks sound astonishing! Can't wait to buy & listen to the whole album!

August 17th, 2010, 4:46 pm
Administrator

Thank you and I'm glad you liked both the band and the review! Hope you get the album and still like it, and also check their previous works and the other band, Garth Arum.

August 30th, 2010, 11:28 am

I'm looking for a mind kind enough to listen to the new DANISHMENDT album, and possibly review it for AGM.
Please contact by PM or dworkin (at) hotmail.com if interested.
More info:
To ignite thirst, through enthroning blackscapes and suffocating, hypnotic noise.
While such a description might seem nebulous, it depicts quite accurately the atmospheres created by the French ensemble. DANISHMENDT crafts ambiances like no other band, and if their scope can be reduced with a few words (such as Black Metal, Doom, Noise...), no genre seem to fit them, and they seem to fit none. Quite content about it, the five lurkers evolve between borders in a world of their own.
“Un Passé Aride” furthers their journey into obsidian fields and post-apocalyptic dull cities, through seven brooding and crushing episodes. “Un Passé Aride” evokes thirst, and a bleak horizon.

The album is streamed in its entirety there.
Thanks.

Last edited by jb on September 14th, 2010, 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

September 14th, 2010, 4:03 pm
Profile WWW
Administrator

As the text there seems a bit sparse to me, I'll try to remember and listen to it at home, as I can't do it here. Will let you know if I gather some interest on reviewing it, at least I'll try.

September 14th, 2010, 4:06 pm

I don't want it to be contrived, so sure, take your time.
Thanks for considering!

PS: post edited for more info.

September 14th, 2010, 4:39 pm
Profile WWW
Administrator

wow trident
that was some interesting interview, best so far
kongats keep it up the goodwork

Haha I am browsing through this thread to find SOMETHING nice written about one of my articles. Thanks a lot!!!

September 24th, 2010, 11:03 pm

Yay, SAVNOCK review at last. Thanks Tentakel P. !

http://www.avantgarde-metal.com/content ... php?id=540

October 31st, 2010, 7:36 pm
Profile WWW

So, I was curious about how you liked this album which I did find interesting myself. Unfortunately, my curiosity remains after reading those few paragraphs. Your landscape-based metaphors are basically a lot of nonsense wrapped in fancy words, and not a review. Why? Because the text fails both at describing the music and telling the reader what you think about it. Feel free to expand on those aspects here.

December 16th, 2010, 7:13 pm
Profile WWW
Administrator

Of course, I shall expand. Your criticism is welcome, by the way, and I understand your point. It's just that I sometimes don't get the point with "normal" reviews at all. I wanted to grab attention to an album which, of course, I liked a lot, by telling of the images that the album is able to grow in my mind, because the album has that power and I think that can only mean GOOD.

The text is written in a way it evolves with the album and describes what I see/feel/hear as it passes, the first paragraphs corresponding to the first minutes and the last ones to the ending.
Now let me explain:

Quote:
Beats that pound like a heavier rain. When this raining takes off, up to down, it's like a grand thrashing of coldness right in the face. A gust of iron blizzard blinds my eyes into a menacing cold whiteness of diluvial riffs that shroud a falling, pounding soil torn apart by the cataclism, thrown into an abyss of white nothingness where it contorts like paper on fire.

All right, as soon as the march-like intro ends and the first song unfolds, this is what I get. The drums are a nice beating over a riff that, to me, sounds like a heavy rain, and it's the only way I have of describing it, really. The same rain that is bought to me by many of Primordial's or some Sólstafir's riffs. The thrashing is not only by the beating, but by the uglyness, cold-heartedness, violence and a bit of punk (or hardcore) feel that emanates from the opening riffs, which I find in common with much thrash metal. So much metal grandeur makes me want to close my eyes and concentrate on the listening, every time I hear that first song which is, as you know, very powerful. The cold whiteness is similar to that blackness of black metal, but instead it strikes me as full of light where things happen, rather than an abyss of negativity like most black metal evokes to me. And of course, this happens because of those rainy (diluvial) riffs and the pounding soil is the base of the song, drumming and bass lines, which I thought, by the way, was a much clear metaphor. The white nothingness is explained before, instead of a black void of negativity what I get is a shiny nothing but all: everything is coloured by the music, which makes the black metal void shake and contort into actually something.

Damn, that song is awesome.

Quote:
The percussive soil entwined together with the waters like an Ouroboros, the perfectly fitting pieces of bass and drum crafted by the hands of Gods driving the world's hearse in procession, sometimes solemn but heavy-walking, sometimes desctructive while sweeping everything at its passing.

Percussive soil again, I say percussive here but I refer to both drum and bass and how well they are bought together into something quite effective throughout all the album. The musicians are the gods because they really know how to handle their instruments, of course, that should be clear too. And the music is sometimes almost calm and soothing, in part thanks to those "rainy" atmospheric and noisy riffs, and sometimes turns really violent while sounding the same. I think this explains that paragraph pretty much. This paragraph, now that I think of it, describes the whole album, together with the first one it makes a whole description IMHO.

Quote:
Land masses shake, crackle, hiss, lament their ongoing perfect deformity. Vibrating, wavering, travelling in violent successions of earthquakes and the bloom of monumental stone gardens, the lands sing their formation through destruction.

This paragraph is justified for describing how I hear the music with this album and the images it evokes on me. I found that most interesting that typical "this riff is cool and that song sounds hardcore+morbid angel+prog metal" stuff.

Quote:
Songs of earthly cycles of gigantic replacements of continents and rivers, ravaging oceans and shattering desolate deserts turning into chasms that sound the horns from the guts of the earth, dissonant grunts sung.

This hints at the final part of the album, with that dissonant calm song, the horns that can be heard, complete with a metaphor of the emotions that arise in me when listening to that part.

Quote:
The glory of inert creation, too slow for the human to notice, too fast for the void to withstand.

This actually means that some may not appreciate the same things as me, yet some may appreciate too many things it would be overwhelming. Also, that it's too short but that here shortness equals goodness.

As you can see, I say pretty small and it's mostly rethoric, but then I repeat myself (when under stress) and say that the intention was not only to describe how I feel this album, but to at the same time attract people's attention with some desolate yet powerful images, because that's the kind of music they will find.

Now let me think, are you satisfied with my explainings? And with the review, now? Not both?

December 16th, 2010, 7:45 pm
Administrator

Also, come to think of this. If you found my review nonsensical and cryptic, what do you think of M.G.A.'s reviews? And Lignano's? :lol:

Do you still think my Castevet review is utterly nonsense? Asking for feedback here, no offence shall be taken. It's not like I think I'm the best writer or anything, but I think I argued it a bit with validity but also I can understand your disappointment.

December 16th, 2010, 7:57 pm

Thanks. The above is much appreciated. If the review had been a combination of that and your original review, I think it would have been great. :)

As for your question, I have seen a number of reviews that I either found pointless or pretentious, and I do not appreciate those at all. I can see why people here may want to be more artful than simply making a list of observations but if a review does not provide me with any of the information I am seeking, it is simply a waste of time.

December 16th, 2010, 8:09 pm
Profile WWW
Administrator

As for your question, I have seen a number of reviews that I either found pointless or pretentious, and I do not appreciate those at all. I can see why people here may want to be more artful than simply making a list of observations but if a review does not provide me with any of the information I am seeking, it is simply a waste of time.

I'm surprised this criticism hasn't been raised before. I know I've been beyond the edge sometimes. It's difficult to do more, in lack of a better word, impressionist reviews - for the readers who (think they) "get it" it might be enjoyable, but if you don't "get it", yes it can be a waste of time.

December 16th, 2010, 8:18 pm
Profile WWW

I should probably make it clear that I do like impressionist elements as long as they are combined with "facts". Personally, I do not think it is possible to "get" a pure impressionist review unless one has actually heard the album. If I read the Castevet review while listening to the album I am sure I could relate to it.

December 16th, 2010, 8:23 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 260 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next